PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Standard communication
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2018, 11:36
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my experience the problem is systemic and cultural. The prime example is RT. When I, and I assume many others started at the flying school, academy or where ever, we learnt our RT from the instructors we had. We learned the CAR's on VFR and IFR flight, the AIP, the privileges and limitations of our licenses but never was the CAAP or ICAO docs studied on correct RT.

Last week I flew with one of the airline's cadets. His entire career from 0 to ATPL wide body SFO has been with this airline. On the topic of SOPs he advocated quite confidently how he can't stand "those guys" who follow "all" the SOP's. "I mean, you don't want to be so rigid where you follow all of them! How annoying would that be!? It was an easy going conversation but I asked him which of the SOPs does he deem important to enforce and which of them he doesn't? I also asked which of the SOPs related to safety and security were the ones he preferred over others? So my point is, this kid is a direct product of the system and culture of training and those experiences. It has formed his traits as a "pilot". And he is the future? Doing the wrong thing has become the "cool" thing or the norm because trainers, training departments and line pilots accept it or want it so.

There are plenty of documented studies from prominent CRM academics on SOP compliance and why pilots and crews deliberately breach them. Interesting reading, unfortunately!

Killaroo & Jimmy - I get where you're coming from however therein lies the issue. One Capt, TRE/I believes it must be done one way, another differently and another different again. FO's are scratching their heads. And this culture or attitude is transferred on to them, and so on. I've learnt that being the super cool easy-going guy willing to let it all slide too far is fraught with more troubles than not. I'm a firm believer that training starts off as pure black and white. Many disagree with me, and I get it. In fact a few years ago I would have too! I believe it should be "flapS" or "SAFETY pin in sight" if that is what is written. Over the top? Perhaps. But how can we know what grey is if we don't appreciate or define what black and white is first?? Build (train) from a strong foundation then go from there. Day to day line flying allows for the grey as airmanship allows. But when we start with grey it becomes so mirky in that SOPs may as well not even exist.

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 25th Apr 2018 at 12:03.