PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another passenger goes berserk on Delta...
Old 25th Apr 2018, 10:39
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets get a few things straight. All of us have a duty of care to others. A compassionate society looks after those less fortunate than themselves. Looking after those less fortunate than yourself requires effort and understanding and for serious conditions, special training. Public transport is designed, built and operated so that something like 99% of people can be safely taken from one place to another. Those who provide the public service are geared up to look after virtually all of the people who travel upon it. But I do not know of any public transport system that trains its staff to deal with passengers suffering from extreme mental disorders. Until public transport changes (staff, design, price, legislation, process etc.) it is better for everybody that anybody suffering from extreme mental disorders do not travel long distances in confined spaces unless approved to do so by a qualified person.

We have enough issues with doctors who have no knowledge of aviation medicine trying to certify whether patients are fit to fly with physical issues.......
Do we? I thought doctors took the patient's best interests first and would refuse to sign a person fit to fly if there was appropriate evidence to the contrary.

The big issue is those that see an airport as an excuse to get as drunk as a skunk and then become abusive in flight.
Not in this thread. However overall I would suggest that for my airline people with illnesses, both those that are known about and diagnosed those who suffer an unexpected turn for the worse, cause more disruption than drunks. Besides, it is in some ways easier to deal with a drunk.

...do not justify another layer of idiotic and incompetent regulations
So which regulations are these then?

We have for a long time been intolerant and uncaring of those unfortunate enough to suffer from mental illness. And we should do considerably more to help people so afflicted. But we shouldn't let common sense get in the way of emotion. Aeroplanes are not really nice places to be at the best of times and being on when you are ill will do nobody and good.

PM