PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 24th Apr 2018, 21:53
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Leadsled:

None of the things I have mentioned involve "peculiar Australian solutions", and there is nothing "peculiarly Australia" about DGPS, which we have been using for years.
DGPS is an old maritime system, powered by coastal radio stations, there is no coverage inland and its accuracy according to the website is only "better than 10 metres".

One of the interesting things you will find out, if you do a bit of homework, is that GPS III, using all the new signal channels, is more accurate, for terrestrial applications, that current GPS/WAAS, ...............

............it will be some time before certified equipment is available that has the capability to take advantage of CURRENT GPS technology. As far as I can see, the TSOs haven't even been published yet,
You obviously have never worked with high technology otherwise you would have learned the hard way to distinguish between marketing "spin" and actual available, cheap working technology.

The technology industry does its best to forstall purchase of a competitors technology by promising the imminent release of a cheaper and much better product RSN ("real soon now") this is often achieved by a demonstration of a prototype or mockup termed "smoke and mirrors".

Given the Australian Governments appalling record in implementing technology solutions, the last thing this country needs is to wait for a pie in the sky leading edge solution that doesn't yet exist GPSIII for which there are no consumer electronics available and instead implement a turnkey WAAS solution that is available NOW! As used by the rest of the world.

I am sick and tired of the technical prophets of Australia stuffing up what works for the rest of the world. This goes for communications like NBN, military procurement like Seasprite and so on. We have a proud record of being late, delivering substandard solutions, if we deliver anything, at great cost. In every case the folk like me who say"buy off the shelf, turnkey solutions" are howled down by the idiots who want unique or cutting edge solutions that don't exist now. WAAS is ubiquitous in the rest of the world. Use it.