PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2018, 16:58
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1500hrs of which 500 hrs is jet time on type
You have passed your airlines' line proficiency check/skill test after 1500 hrs
By this time you probably will be bumped up to a senior first officer
Almost PA28, 1500 hours of which 500 needs to be on a multi-pilot type, by which time you will have long passed an LPC. In BA, SFO is achieved after two years in the company regardless of previous experience.

nadz
I have an old friend the same age as myself who flies the 777 for BA and his advice is that its too late if you are my age
...and who has possibly been at BA for a number of years with the accumulated seniority that brings as well as being on an attractive fleet. The prospect of starting out at the same age would mean it would be highly unlikely you would achieve the same before retirement (particularly if your friend is a Skipper) but not so for all operators. I was told last week that for one sizeable EU operator F/O recruits in their mid-30's to mid 40's are the most desirable because of what they will likely give back over the course of their employment - he cited commitment, life experience (particularly for potential training roles) and longevity with the company, meaning this group would more likely make a career with one operator than be tempted to head overseas in part due to other commitments etc. So the question is not so much age (although I agree with nadz that sharpness degrades of course) but really whether you can afford to devote yourself to full-time training (modular is pretty full-on regardless of what others say), absorb what is likely to be a sizable pay cut by the time you reach late-30's/early-40's, accept that you will be spending more time away from home (more than likely), be absent for family occasions (birthdays, Christmas etc), and accept that you will possibly not achieve command on a wide-body Airbus or Boeing before retirement, and assuming the cost of training is no barrier, why not?