PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which training? Which licence? Complete Newbie
Old 24th Apr 2018, 14:45
stevensanph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xrayalpha
Hi Stevensanphx,
But in your circumstances I would first try and find out what the regulations are in the Philippines. Would they insist on a full ICAO-compliant licence, or do they have a microlight-style licence they might allow a UK microlight licence to be credited to.

And what medical would they require?
Looking into it they seem to currently require a Philippine specific licence. There seems to be a route to convert an ICAO licence to the PH equivalent, but it sounds, in a typical Philippine way, overly complicated. Medical seems to be the same class 2 as in the UK. My experience is whatever it is today, will be completely different in a years time, and therefore I'm not particularly concerned as I can almost guarantee they will have changed the rules in 10+ years time. Looking at microlights (and yes, I was thinking of the 3-axis fixed wing variety) they seem to be able to be flown without any licence at all currently (at least according to the Angeles Flying Club) as long as no more than 800ft high. Again, I would expect this to change before I am in a position where I would worry about their regulations.

To be frank, if you are thinking of going to the Philippines eventually, then learning about the maintenance and repair of a microlight or permit to fly light aircraft might also be a key goal.
Yes - absolutely something I would want and need to learn. I was thinking I would be able to pick this up as I go along, and hence why I see a community as being fairly important in whatever I end up doing in Scotland.

Maximum flexibility: ICAO compliant EASA SEP (which will also allow you to fly 3-axis microlights and weigh shift ones after differences training)
Less flexibility: 3-axis microlight. Less costs (for lessons and landing fees!), simpler medical, fewer written exams. Same control systems.
It is the less cost which drives me towards the 3-axis - but the advice of going for the full PPL makes a lot of sense. I like the idea of having full flexibility, if not the upfront costs when I fully expect I'll fly the cheaper planes once qualified (at least in the short term). I think I will try and visit the sites around me (as you say - not that many!) and see where I feel most at home and then take it from there.

Whats the best way - just turn up and say hi, or book a trial lesson? I'm fairly flexible in my work hours so taking mornings off to go training will be doable, so will prob be able to fit into times others can't.