PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which training? Which licence? Complete Newbie
Old 24th Apr 2018, 09:48
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Stevensanphx,

Welcome to pprune!

You raise some common questions, albeit with a PH twist!

And there have been a lot of changes recently with the alphabet spaghetti of licensing and cross-crediting from one to another.

The first point I would make, just to clarify, is that there are two style of microlight - weight shift (like a hang-glider) and three-axis (like a light aircraft). I am presuming you are looking at the light aircraft-style control system (although a weightshift on floats in the Philippines would be fun!)

The 3-axis microlight aircraft used here at Strathaven and at Perth are, in effect, light aircraft that got squeezed into the microlight category. So they have the same control surfaces, ability to be trimmed etc as a regular aircraft.

But in your circumstances I would first try and find out what the regulations are in the Philippines. Would they insist on a full ICAO-compliant licence, or do they have a microlight-style licence they might allow a UK microlight licence to be credited to.

And what medical would they require?

Of course, like the UK/EU, the licences could all change over the next 10 years.

Personally, I think you may be best going down the EASA SEP route - a full ICAO compliant licence. You will be taught at Cumbernauld by the same people, in the same aircraft, and with the same examiner as you would for the LAPL.

Johnnie Allen at Phoenix in Cumbernauld also does the tests for our microlight students. Whichever licence you go for, he will insist that you are able to handle the aircraft properly and safely.

While there are slight differences in the various syllabuses, proper handing and safety are standard.

Others more up-to-date than me about recent changes may be able to explain the advantages of a LAPL over an EASA SEP, other than the medical.

Other points to make: once you have got your licence, you can look at different styles of aircraft. So if you get a LAPL or EASA SEP you might still buy a (share) in a permit aircraft at another airfield.

To be frank, if you are thinking of going to the Philippines eventually, then learning about the maintenance and repair of a microlight or permit to fly light aircraft might also be a key goal.

To sum up:

Maximum flexibility: ICAO compliant EASA SEP (which will also allow you to fly 3-axis microlights and weigh shift ones after differences training)

Less flexibility: 3-axis microlight. Less costs (for lessons and landing fees!), simpler medical, fewer written exams. Same control systems.

Visit everywhere - not that many to visit in central Scotland! See what suits. See how you feel you fit in. Check opening hours. (after work in summer evenings can be great, but we don't teach on Tuesday late afternoons/evenings for instance)

And enjoy your flying!

ps: Come to tomorrow Wednesday's GASCo Safety Evening at the Strathaven Hotel - there will be pilots from various airfields there - not just Strathaven - including from some farm strips. So you can hear a lot of opinions!

Last edited by xrayalpha; 24th Apr 2018 at 09:52. Reason: added ps