PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 24th Apr 2018, 09:34
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disingenuous again , "was going to give" says it all. WAAS/SBAS gives us that accuracy right $#@%ing NOW! Without waiting for some peculiar Australian solution. Without waiting for the next generation of gadgets that "might' get built.

Do you not understand the concept of time to market? Do you not understand that WAAS/ SBAS is a world industry standard right NOW!
Sunfish,
You really do surprise me, for a long time, your posts have been common sense and seldom have I disagreed with you, but you seemed to be completely unhinged about SBAS/WAAS. You don't seem to be able to recognize what is available, right now, in Australia, not some time in the future.

None of the things I have mentioned involve "peculiar Australian solutions", and there is nothing "peculiarly Australia" about DGPS, which we have been using for years.

I did dig up the executive summary of the Cth 2011 SBAS/WAAS assessment, it made virtually all the same points I have made in one or another posts here.

Yet again, JUST FOR YOUR BENEFIT, I make the point that the present "trial" is ALL ABOUT AVIATION ----- not other well known and understood benefits of GBAS/WAAS.

So, what is the catch, why is the end result going to be any different this time for aviation, compared to 2003 (or thereabouts) and 2011, after all, this is hardly "new" technology.

Where is the REVOLUTION for aviation???

One of the interesting things you will find out, if you do a bit of homework, is that GPS III, using all the new signal channels, is more accurate, for terrestrial applications, that current GPS/WAAS, and the quite wide variety of receivers available for GPSIII often have provision for processing Glonass and other systems. All predicted years ago, and a major factor in Australia not taking up SBAS/WASS, but using GBAS for particular solutions, INCLUDING aviation.

Given the subscription model of Galileo, I can't see it having a big market around here, given the availability models of DGPS that we have RIGHT NOW, and have had for years.

You mention "time to market", sadly for aviation, it will be some time before certified equipment is available that has the capability to take advantage of CURRENT GPS technology. As far as I can see, the TSOs haven't even been published yet, but I did only have a very quick look.

Tootle pip!!

PS: You seem unable to contemplate the idea that others here, beside yourself, have serious high level experience in industries beyond aviation. Everything I have mentioned here is based on my practical experience.