PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hobbs/VDO, tach time and airswitch?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2018, 06:30
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tankengine
Never seen one with a checklist, the old manufacturers one may have had one.
I have to say, I'm scratching my head over this statement. You've never seen a manual with a checklist????? I have to ask, how many aircraft manuals have you actually read? I don't think I have ever seen a manual for a light airplane manufactured in the last 60 years or so whcih did *not* contain checklists. The regulations regarding manuals and aircraft certification have changed over the years, prior to, I think 1979, an aircraft manual was just *A* manual. After that date, the manual became part of the aircraft equipment, it had a part number and was specific to one individual aircraft, and it will have the aircraft serial number printed in the manual. It was *the* manual, it was required to be updated, and it was a part of the airplane. You could have copies, and you could get generalized manuals from the manufactures whcih had essentially the same information, but they were not *the* official manual for *that* individual airplane.

Here's a scan of a 1967 Cessna 172 manual The checklist begins on the 4th page of the .pdf (Page 1-1).

Here's a scan of a 1982 Cessna 172P "information manual" The 172P was certificated in the era after the serialized aircraft manual was required, but still in the era when a new model had CAR 3, (the predecessor regulations to Part 23) as a certification basis. This is called an "information manual" because it is not *the* aircraft flight manual. this would be the manual that a flight school would give (for a price, of course) to a student that he would take home to study. A note on the third page of the .pdf explains this status and how the "information manual" does not replace the "Official Pilot's Operating Handbook, and FAA Approved Flight Manual" The Emergency Checklists begin on pg 35, and the normal operating checklists begin on page 55.

Here's an "Information manual" for a 2007 172R. The 172R, unlike the 172-172Q, was entirely certificated under the current Part 23 Airworthiness Standards. (vice the predecessor CAR-3 regs) It contains a similar note in the front that the "information manual" when printed contains the same information as the official POH and Approved Flight Manual, but because it is does not get updated, cannot be considered a replacement for the manual assigned to the specific aircraft serial number. Emergency and Normal Checklists are found beginning on pg 72 and 112, respectively.

Lest you be tempted to think that this is just a Cessna phenomenon here's a link to a manual for a 1975-1977 Citabria Checklists are in the Emergency procedures section, normal procedures section, and also printed on the back cover for convenience.

I also have a manual for a 1965 Helio Courier. It contains checklists. I'd have to host the file somewhere in order to provide a link, and I'm far too lazy for that, so you're just gonna have to trust me on that one.

Since you earlier mentioned Barons, here's a link to the "Normal Procedures Section of the POH for the G58 Baron. Yep, you guessed it ... checklists.

Can you provide a link to the manufacturer's manual for a general aviation aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate manufactured in the last 60 years which *doesn't* contain checklists?

Last edited by A Squared; 24th Apr 2018 at 08:11.