PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military short of 800 pilots?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 22:42
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrinkGirls
I have been out for many many years and am in the process of rejoining in an FTRS flying role. I have had a fabulous lower paid flying job during my time out but the numbers quoted here are way out from potential earnings unless you are very lucky and prepared to relocate your family. Locos pay RHS around £60k. I am not ready to be compulsory retired by the CAA and FTRS potentially allows flying to 65. I’m back and I’m fit, well and excited about putting my uniform back on. The military offers a lot that just isn’t out there.
As yourself what will suit you, too many people go because everyone else is.

Ok, put it another way, if you could secure a decent LH job as SFO with a legacy, or the realistic opportunity to be LHS within 3 years for a loco on 120K, would you say that it is a no-brainer? Luck really isn't in it, hard qualifications and experience is the main factor here. The CAA allows flying under an ATPL on multicrew till 65, so there is no issue there. I don't know many who haven't left and are now on at least 20K more than they left with within the mob. That includes some now working part time. I don't know many flying for the likes of J2, Easy etc whom haven't achieved command within 3-5 years.

Yes and I would like Lambo for an MT vehicle...come on, that will never happen. I think the only realistic option is some form of retention payment, not a short-term FRI, for all at 18/40 or 20/40. Either bringing forward the EDP or £20-£30k as a token jesture so that at least you get something for staying.
The other option is, I leave, take a pay rise, plus take the above anyway, then work towards second pension and lump sum that is far in excess of the one I would have got at 60 in the RAF. MoD loses experience and I am not retained. I will still be taking the above sums talked about. In the meanwhile, a replacement has to be sought, trained (circa cost 2 million plus) and put through a training system that has no capacity throughput at the moment. 20-30k? Forget it. FRI of Lump sum gratuity, post tax, with max commutation and I may think about it.

The average length of service for Aircrew is about 20 years and so that is probably about right.
Absolutely not my experience. Some areas/fleets are struggling to retain past 6 year ROS at present, hence why certain fleet ROS have been changed recently. The majority of my generation went well before 16 year point, as it was unaffordable to stay in the 4 years for the pension whilst legacy airlines were biting off their arms to join them. The cull of baby pilots absolutely destroyed any view that you could trust the MoD and many of their course mates are now aggressively looking for alternative employment now their ROS is coming to completion.

Last edited by VinRouge; 23rd Apr 2018 at 23:02.