PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTASLINK Crewing Crisis!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 16:23
Seagull201

Originally Posted by HILFIGER-TOMMY
And here i am on the hold for 18months with 2000hrs plus multi time. Hearing that they are now taking LVL 1&2 trainees. Go figure. No one wants to sit around waiting that long. Taken on other job in mean time. Will be interesting if they ring. If at all. I'm wondering how many people there are with hours like myself.
That's great you got 2000 hours on twins but what type of twin are you flying?
Are you flying a turboprop, king air, metro or C441 size?

I knew a bloke in the past who was just an instructor for four years and was knocked back by QF, he then got himself a light jet endorsement and worked for a freight company, then ended up in Asia on the A340.
Another example, i have come across two different people in the past, both were instructors and both ended up in QF, one of them had a uni degree, which gave him the edge over others.

In my opinion, if you got yourself a B737-800 or A320 type rating, that could place you in a more favourable position, even if you don't end up flying that particular equipment, the transition to a totally different aircraft type will be simple.
I believe a person should continue to invest in their future and be up to date with the glass cockpit, jet operations (at least simulator), understand operations of advanced aircraft systems, to increase their skill and knowledge.
To achieve a B738 or A320 type rating requires a lot of skill and effort from an individual, it's not a Dash 8 or Second Officer role.

You could have contacted the company flying the Emb135/145 on the east coast, if accepted, then self fund a type rating and move up into a higher class of operation.
It's a great job, got to think outside the box and globally.

Don't forget you're not the only person with a pilot's licence, a pilot licence holder is no different to being a driver on the road, you're not the only one.