PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 12:19
tescoapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was yourself involved?

It was a very well written study and also practical.

If any of the owners are reading that donated hours on aircraft... thank you very much they were not wasted at all.

The controllability post 1st stall is always an issue even in the works machine. When people do them both at the same time its a rare person that can control the pitch to just enough and not give it huge pitch changes. When they do the roller coaster starts. Thankfully at work they have standardised on the pitch pause power recovery. Just like I concluded worked the best teaching ppl years ago.

BTW I was taught the power out on my ppl but even at that stage it was pretty obvious it was nonsense and asking for trouble. I will admit I have some 900 hours teaching on PA38's which tends to focus an instructors mind on avoiding anything that's likely to throw you into a spin. And its stood me in good stead ever since. A calm 1-2-3 recovery looses less height and everything is back under control quicker than shoving both hands forward and then trying to sort the resulting dynamic situation out.

To note for the twin drivers. I have also be made to do single engine stalls in the sim to try and show that its a bad technique to slowly apply full power keeping the wings level and yaw under control. Yes I did loose loads of height.... but at least I didn't have a Vmca rollover like my colleague did doing it the way the TRE wanted it. I lost 600ft over 4 seconds he lost 3000ft in about 2 seconds and then we had to have a break because the sim went into a sulk.