PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Offer better Value than Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2003, 05:29
Scottish Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AUC were being very selective in their choice of routes. They drew considerable attention to the fact that some of Ryanair's airports are further from the destination but did not always make fare comparisons. One of the routes highlighted in the press today was Glasgow - Paris - apparently showing that BA from Glasgow to CDG was cheaper than Ryanair to Beauvais and drawing attention to the extra time that may be required in travelling to and from Ryanair's airports. What they failed to mention is that the Glasgow - CDG route on BA is not even non-stop - you have to go through Birmingham. Any time disadvantage in using Ryanair quickly disappears. Some biased reporting I'm afraid. I fly relatively frequently around Europe (about 30+ flights a year) and use both low cost and the regular full fare airlines. Only very rarely do I find a cheaper deal with BA or BMI. BA's charges and taxes alone on the London-Glasgow route are often more expensive than the Ryanair fare to PIK including taxes!! I too rarely pay more than £30 return on Ryanair - not only to PIK but also on many European flights. As I usuallly hire a car at my destination, the fact that Ryanair use quieter airports is usually a bonus. I can be out of the airport and on the road in less time than I would have to wait for my baggage at many major airports. A couple of months ago I flew up to PIK on Ryanair, retreived my baggage, picked up a car from Hertz and was in my accommodation (only a couple of miles from the airport) before the scheduled arrival time of the flight! Try doing that at many major airports.