PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 09:26
Citationcj2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PA28161
There is no such thing as a fATPL. When you graduate ATO (CTC/L3/OAAA et al) you have, hopefully, a CPL/IR/MCC[JOC]. The CAA does not recognise anything called a fATPL it doesn't exist. You get ATPL stamped on your licence after:

1500hrs of which 500 hrs is jet time on type
You have passed your airlines' line proficiency check/skill test after 1500 hrs
By this time you probably will be bumped up to a senior first officer

For some reason, which eludes me, people on this site seem to think that by passing the 14 ATPL theory exams they somehow become ATPL's or fATPL's.

In my profession, you do become a doctor until you are fully registered by the GMC after 6 months post graduate house physician/house surgeon posts in a recognised teaching hospital, even though you have passed all the pre-clinical and three-year post clinical exams
The reason most people refer to it as a fATPL,( even some airlines call it fATPL as a part of their requirement , even there is no such thing) but it gives an indication that the licence holder has completed all the necessary skill tests, atpl exams, CPL,IR,MCC/JOC and so on.

Altough an fATPL holder is a CPL holder and working its way to the ATPL licence, a CPL holder only can also be someone that only completed 9 of the theory exam, as this is the only requirement for a CPL only holder. Not all CPL holders wish to work on JAR 25 aircraft.

So in theory if they were only referring it to a CPL holders, it could really be anyone on the list..hence fATPL saying