PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 08:33
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scifi
A few of us Private Pilots got into flying via Gliding, and for every winch launch you have ever done you have to be very quick to lower the nose. At the end of the launch, when you are 1400ft agl, the glider has a nose-up attitude of about 25 degrees, The cable back-releases, as it is supposed to do. Then you simultaneously give the cable-release a precautionary two tugs, and lower the nose to below the horizon. It is only when you get to fly powered aircraft, that the application of power is also required.

If you fly anything larger, with tonnes of inertia, then that is a different problem, but after all this is the Private Flying Forum.
It is the Private Flying Forum, but a lot of us on here earn our living flying as well as it being a weekend relaxation for us, the day job aeroplane has tonnes of inertia, my weekend aeroplane definitely doesn’t, sometimes I get to do some gliding (my first flying love) and all three have one thing in common, drop the nose slightly when close to the stall and they all will fly away.

At the gliding club where I learned as a teenager they taught that the pilot should release, the gliding club where I get to spend not enough of my time take the same view, they see it as poor airmanship due to the lack of thought for the winch driver.

SND