PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 21:32
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Leadsled:

In isolation, everything in it is, of course, quite correct, but we are already doing all of those things, with "centimeter" or close to accuracy, now, that is the point I have been trying to make ---- it is not in the future, it is now. See one of my previous posts.

I can plot bore hole positions in surveying an ore body to 2-3 cm position right now, just like a survey I just had done of a hangar site for title purposes ---- on an aerodrome for which no acceptable survey was available.

EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT (in the absence of high speed trains) what new does SBAS/WAAS provide. That is why I said: Visit AgQuip at Gunnedah, see what's available right now. In the road transport business, for all navigation and fleet management purposes you don't even need SBAS, the average 3M accuracy of current non-aviation GPS is quite good enough. And 3M is quite good enough for parcel delivery.
You are deliberately disingenuous. Yes, you can have "centimeter accuracy" at present, with survey grade GPS, and post processing and perhaps DGPS but not at speed in real time everywhere provided by WAAS which is where the money is - drones and autonomous vehicles.

For mine site management (not exploration) the preferred solution is company owned GBAS, because that gives the mining company complete control.
This is BS. Mine sites currently have no choice but to use their own or subscription based high accuracy solutions. As for "3M being quite good enough" this is also BS.

PS: Whoever suggested it would save large overlaps plowing/sowing/harvesting --- are you serious, I could and did (and so could everybody else) run right along the furrow of the last pass before I was old enough to legally drive, and that was when all equipment was towed, not the great gadgets now ---- with GPS aided steering. I don't have to sit half sideways in the seat any longer, and the speaker phone, air conditioning and stereo is great ---- and I don't have to hop off the tractor and get underneath if there is thunderstorm and big hail.
Perhaps you could read up on soil science, and see how it is now possible to map a paddock, and meter fertilizer and trace elements to individual parts of a paddock for maximum even yield --- all done with current GPS positioning.
Disengenuous again. "GPS aided steering" and fertilizer management has been around for at least fifteen years. What we are talking about is centimeter accuracy at speed in real time for the latest generation of autonomous tractors, seeders, sprayers and harvesters that have no human driver at all and rely on WAAS. Accuracy affects profits, do I need to explain that?

Then there is going to be the multitude of personal applications, including self driving cars, drones and others unimagined that will rely on ubiquitous WAAS.

Why the &*^& are you suggesting that Australia should again wall itself off from what is already world wide common consumer technology????? The bloody "not invented here" syndrome is killing this country.

Last edited by Sunfish; 22nd Apr 2018 at 21:44.