PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military short of 800 pilots?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 18:22
Ascoteer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The B Word
No fallacy. Have a read here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...4_Feb_2015.pdf

The bit you need to read is:

So it’s not made up, it’s a fact.

Also, that roster you talk about is a killer in my humble opinion. Pretty much every time I want to meet up with any of my airline mates it’s “My roster hasn’t come out yet” or “My roster is out and I can’t swap”. Whereas in the mob you can normally do a deal with the programmer to get what you need - you may have to take a bit of pain, like a night in the Q shed, but it works.

Does the 14 days include standby duties or sims? Also, I’m guessing that is long haul so how many nights away? This is a BA Long Haul pilot explaining their schedule on another forum:

To me that doesn’t sound like the grass is greener at all?
The point was: not many people would actually choose to put 51% of their salary into a pension pot, and most only large amounts for tax break purposes. I don’t won’t to get into the finer details of investments, by much better to have the money and choose what to do with it, rather than have Whitehall pull the rug out from under you.

Looks like you’re a/was aFJ driver, so probably very different programming wise. One day’s notice of a 6 week detachment or a week’s trip is not uncommon for many others in Rotary/ME world.

If the RAF works for you, great, but I think the younger generation, for reasons mentioned above, feel a lack of loyalty to them by the Service and will vote with their feet accordingly.