PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next Move
Thread: Next Move
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 17:26
itchybumba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Golf--Lima--Papa
I can’t see how your age, lack of higher education and choice of MCC provider is stopping you getting an interview.

It seems maybe it’s your lack of contacts within the industry, it really is everything, more so when you are that little bit older.

With all due respect you mention you only want to fly a jet, that’s fair enough but again you’re severely limiting your options. I really don’t see how paying more money for a more expensive MCC is going to increase your chances of a break. When you finally do get on line with an airline you’ll see the MCC is a mere box ticking exercise. Albeit an enjoyable one.

Having been a similar age to yourself when finishing training the only advice I’d offer is get out there and get involved in the industry and make contacts. You are only 36, had you been 46 then I’d be slightly concerned. However, you still have time to make contacts and get a break. Be that getting an FI rating or getting a job with an airline in any role that will see you working with people that are well placed to help you.

All the best with whatever you decide to do. Give me a shout through PM if you have any questions.
Thanks for the reply!

Just want to clear one thing up - i would not turn down any flying job right now that could provide enough income to keep a roof over my familys head, food in our bellies and bills covered - regardless of power plant. Ending up in a jet is the ultimate goal but if i was offered something in a sep or mep that could cover us finacially i would happily take it and love every minute of it!! However, instructing full time is off the table at the moment until me and the bank manager are square because a FI pay packet wont cover all these commitments. I am considering instructing on a part time basis though.

I agree with you - lack of contacts really hampers the process. I am trying to leverage all the ones i have and make new ones. This is why part time instructing could be so valuable - i would get to meet more people and grow my network.

Re mcc provider - another thing i want to just say is that i am very happy with the mcc training course i did. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and learnt lots!! I would happily recommend their course to others.

The reason i am considering another mcc is not the quality of training i received, its that the "premium" providers have links with recruiters / airlines and people that go to some of these providers are going to job interviews that you wont see advertised. It is this that attracts me to it - i am confident that if i do one i will get interviews that i wont get if i dont do it!!

Ultimately this is the choice - do another mcc and get interviews that i wont get without doing it or do an instructors rating and instruct part time to build hours, experience, grow the network and also give something back to aviation! I cant do both (well not immediately anyway) so i need to work out which is going to have the most chance of getting me a job that means i can give up the office and fly full time.