PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Express
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 15:48
Killaroo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
Well it could be a long conversation.

Now I was chatting with a few LCC pilots at immigration in KL the other day. Maybe Lion or Malindo. They said the money on offer with HKG LCC's was aplenty for Asian people. This was both the Capt and F/O.

So people are accepting the pay without professional due diligence. As evidenced above.

You are existing in Hong Kong. You are not paid enough to have a life. You are complaining about public transport and population density because you are not paid enough to have a car or cars nor live in comfort. You complain about the local language, because you are not paid enough to integrate. You can't afford middle class local friends because you aren't paid enough to entertain or do the abundance of entertaining things this city has to offer.

It makes me furious. My boss tells me I'm overpaid because of the conditions your colleagues are accepting. I like Hong Kong. I like my life. I come on here and see the low cost guys living in sorrow like local van drivers. Go ! It seems a pitiful existence living in Tung Chung- and what if you or family get sick in this town? Surely you'd be either ruined or denied suitable care.
You still don’t get it. Like King Canute trying to order the tide to turn as the sea washes over him.
Look mate - the thing is they do leave. All the time. They come for a new experience, hours building, a free type rating, an upgrade, a training qual, or a retirement fund top up. Lots of different reasons. Then, when they get them, they leave. And another Joe Soap arrives to replace them. Rinse and repeat.
The arrangement seems to suit HKE/HKA, or they’d do more to stop it. But they clearly believe it’s cheaper to constantly be training new people than to retain their existing crews on higher T’s&C’s.
To be honest I think they couldn’t pay me enough to stay in HKG after I get what I want from it. It’s fun for a while alright, and you don’t need to be a millionaire to get your kicks. But eventually you start to miss things like clean air, clean water (straight from the tap), safe food, room to roam, wide open spaces, the beauty of nature in your homeland, a nice house on a piece of land of your own, personal transport and somewhere to go in it for a weekend, the company of your countrymen and your own language and culture, friends and family, oh, and a decent employer who doesn’t treat you like **** because the law and culture doesn’t allow it...all that normal stuff.
So yeah, I’ll leave you to enjoy HKG’s curious charm and I’ll shake the dust from my shoes when I go. There’ll be another adventurer along to replace me in a minute. That’s your misfortune.