PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA1380 - diversion to KPHL after engine event
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 13:43
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
TNX for the education Chesty and others.

I was surprised at the amount of roll, but I guess with the motors at near-full thrust that the lack of thrust on one as well as increased drag from the damage was enuf. Also was prolly a fairly low "q" so aero authority of vertical stab likely low.

Yaw can cause significant roll even in straight wing planes depending on engine alignment with the aerodynamic longitudianl axis and not necessariy the physical. So you can get decent roll even on symmetrical thrust twins, and I flew one that required immediate full rudder and pulling the good engine back from mil thrust. Lost two folks on single engine go arounds because of that, especially if they were pullng back on the stick to get the nose up.

On the bent wing planes, the roll due to yaw can be extreme. Flying some fighters, we used nothing but rudder for roll when at high AoA, with stick locked between your knees. But 41+ degrees of roll within seconds at that stage of flight would sure get my attention, heh heh.

Gums sends...