PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1968 FLYING SCHOLARS?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 11:42
MPN11

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Now reunited with my logbooks and Cadet Record of Service (CCF and ATC). Oh, what a lucky cadet I was ... I got pretty much all of the goodies available, with Gliding School, PPL and International Air Cadet Exchange all ticked off over a 3-year period. Oh, and an AOC Air Cadets Commendation chucked in too! They were great years to be a CCF/ATC Cadet (58-63) which I finished off in 64 as a Civilian Instructor with my old ATC Sqn (144 Richmond) in my 'gap year' between RN and RAF service.

18 Aug 61. Glider solo at No. 1 Gliding Centre RAF Hawkinge, awarded A and B Certificates.

29 Jul 62. Flying Scholarship, Oxford Aeroplane Club, Kidlington. First solo in Piper Colt G-ARKN. Time to solo 5h35m. Group A PPL #62833 awarded 22 Aug 62. Thank you, Mr. Johnson, for your patience!

Jul/Aug 63. IACE to Idaho, in the company of another Cadet FS who in later years would be known in the RAF as "C4"

All of which led to my [brief] flying career in the RN, where I failed my Flying Grading at Roborough in Dec 63!
reynoldsno1, re your post #32 ... your Mr. Lucas at Kidlington was the Chief Instructor of RN Flying Grading at the time, and my instructor was his son (the shouting, coaming-thumping, confidence-destroying one!). In my Log Books as Lucas Snr. and Lucas Jnr., and "their" Tiger Moths were BB694 and T8191 respectively.