PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC: 15 military airfields have been earmarked for closure over the next six years.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 09:45
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of all those on the list only Mildenhall would have any real immediate aviation use in a conflict. The others are largely not in that category. Being realistic if it was a national crisis of WW2 proportions airfields would not be able to be built quickly - the Govt would simply requisition every civil airport/airfield it wanted..........

It's no co-incidence that many of those closing airfield sites (Halton/Abingdon/Wethersfield/Chivenor) were previously very active VGS sites which have conveniently closed as a result of the 'pause' in VGS Operations and the subsequent VGS reorganisation.

Do I smell a rat ? - you can bet that those sites will be sold off to developers who will subsequently make a small fortune. The price of a house in all those areas is astronomical. Building a few hundred more on those sites won't help the housing lists any, only the developers..........and like many on here I dislike seeing capabilities, flexibility and history destroyed because some 'here today, gone tomorrow' politician sees votes and headlines in it for them.

Out of interest how many airfields do we have on 'Care and Maintenance' nowadays ?? - I make it a big fat zero...............

Arc