PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFI: Night CASEVAC: Radfan, Aden; 27 January 1964
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 06:44
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Whatever the result, this seems a feat of airmanship that deserved an award, not a CM.
I'd have expected the Unit involved to have found a way to express their thanks, especially as it appears to have been a case of body bags if not rescued.

Whether or not you can ease his mind, please pass on the thought that what he did was in the real spirit of not just the RAF, but of all our Armed Forces, that they will do everything, including putting their own lives on the line to save others.

I wonder if there is a 78 Squadron Association which might provide more answers.

Nonetheless, please reassure him that what he did MUST have saved those lives. It wouldn't have been asked of them by the Army unless there was no other way. Like so many others, he was a brave man and put himself in danger, both at the time and possibly later if he feared some official censure (Why?) for this mercy mission.

We are thankful that men such as he are in the Armed Forces and prepared to do their best for the rest of us.

Thank him from me, at least, for his actions that day.