PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military short of 800 pilots?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2018, 17:53
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Corporal Clott
200k in what currency?!!

Even a long-haul Trg Captain doesn’t make £200k, probably more like £120k to £140k. Then they have to contribute to their pension unlike the Armed Forces who contribute 52% of our wages into AFPS - so a Flt Lt earning £50k gets £26k extra put into the pension pot per year. I think BA have just upped their employer contributions from 9% to 15% but that is still well short of our 52%.

The only way you will earn mega bucks in flying is to go to the Middle East for some tax free salary action - but then that is not for everyone (I politely declined some years ago). They also will get their monies worth out of you.

So, if you are thinking of going down the route of an airline pilot career, the work-life balance isn’t really any rosier than the forces - have a read of the BALPA blog if you don’t believe me:
https://blog.balpa.org/Blog/October-...alance-Pilot-A

As ever, we all have to make the choices that fit our own personal circumstances, but I don’t believe that airline flying is this wonderful Utopia with mega wages. It will be a job with many frustrations like any other.

CPL Clott
GBP , first hand from a very close relative!

Been down the airline route, nearly 25 years, after 12 years RAF. Never regretted it for a moment!