PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFI: Night CASEVAC: Radfan, Aden; 27 January 1964
Old 21st Apr 2018, 15:04
Agatha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RFI: Night CASEVAC: Radfan, Aden; 27 January 1964

I am an RAF Association welfare caseworker and I have been asked by a family member to visit a terminally ill RAF veteran who I am told served with 78 Sqn in 1964. I am planning to visit on Wednesday 25th April.

His daughter says he is increasingly anxious and disturbed about a particular mission he flew on 27th January 1964 - her summary of the incident are attached.

She has asked for my assistance with trying to find out about the 4 soldiers he rescued on this mission. She has apparently emailed and phoned the National Army Museum several times about it (without getting a response). She says her father needs to know whether these soldiers lived as a result of the risks he took that night - his mind won't rest otherwise. She says that the family have all reassured him many times that what he did was right and heroic, but he wants facts about what happened.

I have already approached the Aden Veterans Association but they are not able to assist as they don't hold historical records and I have also requested details of the patient admissions at RAF Steamer Point hospital on 27th and 28th January 1964 from the National Archives but that information will take weeks to arrive.

I really don't know where else to try to see if I can find some information to put this RAF veteran's mind at rest and give him the peace he so desperately needs in his final days.

Grateful for any ideas?!

Agatha
Attached Files