PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Effect of Brexit on UK certificates etc.
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2018, 07:30
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highcirrus
22/04

May I trouble you for a reference to Mr Rees-Mogg's plan, following departure from EASA, to keep Airbus Broughton wing manufacture rolling, Rolls Royce Derby churning out Trents etc and a myriad supporting, sub-contracting manufacturers in business?

Similarly, I've probably missed his commentary on the EU Notice to Stakeholders. Withdrawal of the United Kingdom and EU Aviation Safety Rules, previously referred to and in particular his plan to counter the devastating effects of: and thus keep flight crews, engineers, air traffic personnel, cabin crew, training departments etc, etc in business, earning to support families and providing significant contribution to the UK tax base. You see, whenever I look, I can't find any details of putative plans for a Rees-Mogg handling of this upcoming catastrophe.
I'm struggling to see what Mr Rees-Mogg - or any other non minister, whether Brexiteer or Remainer - has to do with our future relationship with EASA? Nor about Airbus wing production in Broughton?

Getting back to reality, I'm surprised that wing production is still ongoing in UK at all since the British government has no shares in EADS and, irrespective of our position within the EU, it wouldn't surprise me that Airbus would - sooner rather than later - transfer the jobs to a lower wage economy. Perhaps because Britain would then have no incentive to purchase the A400M?

Going further with Rolls-Royce - yes, tariffs on engines could be damaging to them, especially as Sefran would be exempt from such tariffs but what percentage of their overall business are we talking about here? Customers can choose which engines they want and if Rolls-Royce continue to develop new, more capable engines, why wouldn't customers across the globe continue to specify them? Certification would just be another cost, a cost which they still have to pay today.

On a personal nature, I'm extremely relaxed about what happens after Brexit (I am assuming it will happen because if it doesn't, we would have demonstrated ourselves to be akin to an abused partner - wanting to stop the abuse, but not strong enough to consider life away from said abusive partner - in which case, the EU will know they can impose rules and restrictions on UK without hindrance.) because life will go on, trade will go on.