PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Surely LNAV+V must be safer?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2018, 23:29
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ Is the crux of 3 pages of discussion.

I've no issues with +V. The issue I have are the people who don't understand how it works.

Werbil, I have some questions regarding your post;

from observation the calculated glide path on both +V and visual approaches is accurate enough to show the affects of temperature at ISA +15 on barometric altitude.
Did you have to set OAT on your equipment?
How do you know it was showing affects of temp...and not something else? (genuinely curious) Not trying to be a smart@rse, but I wasn't aware that +V took into account any temperature.

Questions for everybody.
1. Using +V with no external information sources where do you think the GPS gets altimeter information from? (I'll give you a hint it is not referenced to MSL)
2. Provided you know the answer to question 1, do you know what the difference between MSL and +V altimetry is? (Hint it is not a fixed number in Australia)

Can someone in Perth who uses +V tell us what the +V profile reads when doing RNAV approaches in SW WA?

Any survey lidar pilots on here? Has the GPS altitude for you lidar runs ever been the same as the barometric altitude shown on the altimeter? Is it different depending on whereabouts in Australia you are?