PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2018, 21:49
nadz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesgrainge
You don't really want to be a pilot. Sorry, harsh but true. If you've had numerous opportunities but never taken them, there is always something that has stopped you. I'm 29 and this is my first "opportunity" to be a pilot, and I'm taking it.

Your perspective as an outsider is pretty much irrelevant. Again, sorry for any offence.
You are only 29, your situation is very different from someone mid forties, you have maybe 10 years from now to get your first flying job, older guys don't have that luxury. You are quick to pronounce judgement upon me without knowing any facts about my situation, life is complicated sometimes. a good pilot should be more considered and rational than to rush to conclusions like that.
my perspective as an outsider is relevant to guys in a similar situation to myself, we could all just say to older dreamers, ''go ahead and follow the dream'' but the negatives and likely outcome do need to be considered, if you are basically a bit too old.
I have an old friend the same age as myself who flies the 777 for BA and his advice is that its too late if you are my age. There will always be a few exceptions but that is what they are, exceptions, most older guys would just be wasting their money. even younger guys have had to give up after finishing training because they may have graduated into a bad hiring market and by the time things turn around again, a whole load of new eager younger graduates are competing for the same jobs. Times are good right now, but its cyclical and could go quiet again at anytime.