PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next Move
Thread: Next Move
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2018, 11:46
itchybumba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you all the replies! I shall reply in turn:

Jaair I would say it's important to keep yourself involved in aviation and don't give up. Have you considered flight instructing part time while keeping your main job? Or flying skydivers? Banner towing?

I know people in their 20s who took years to get that first job but they stuck through it and eventually landed the job. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. A friend of mine in his 40s just got an interview to fly regional jet aircraft in Europe.
I have considered instructing part time..... and it remains a distinct possibility. The downside is that financially i have 1 throw of the dice (well for the next few years at least) - its a FI rating or a "premium" MCC. I think the "premium" MCC will get me in front of recruiters quicker than an FI rating and ultimately, its flying a jet that i want - be that in the corporate market or airlines.
I had a (freakishly) similar background to you, I completed my training and did a basic, but highly recommended, MCC then spent a good part of a year with no luck with recruitment. The only "bite" I had was attending selection with a large northern low-cost operator, where I got through all the stages but ultimately they turned me down on the basis of soft skills/horrible personality.

I took the plunge and did the Wings Alliance APS-MCC course and now I'm gainfully employed to operate an Airbus.
Thanks for sharing your experience gfunc....... it sounds like you may have still been in the job hunt phase had it not been for the additional MCC and i dont want to be here in another 12 months still pondering as to why i am not getting any interviews - especially when the market is as it is at the moment.

Hi Itchybumba (great name, btw)!

I'm in almost exactly the same position as yourself, except that I'm two years younger, and my averages were 92%. I changed careers from my old, non-aviation related field to an Ops Support one in the hope of being offered a flight deck position after time served in the office, all the while applying to airlines and broadening my network of "contacts". This is proving tricky, however...

I have pretty much the same plan as you. I have (hopefully) a couple of chances with airlines in Europe, and if these don't pan out, I'm planning on either Wings Alliance (which you have to pass their assessment to get onto the course, which in turn, is also assessed) or Flight Instructing. I only wish I had gone the FI route as soon as I finished flight school - there are jobs out there that have asked for hours that I could have accumulated on SEP instructing, but didn't go that route, and so I couldn't apply (I'm thinking the likes of West Atlantic, Stobart, Gama, RVL, Skybus, and other leads you stumble across here and there)... The idea of waiting another two years in my current role without making progression to FO (or any flying capacity) scares me!

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but if you went to Bartolini, would't you be able to apply for this? https://www.flyinpoland.com/adria-airways/ Someone I used to work with graduated from Bartolini, tried seriously hard for maybe 2-3 years to make it into a job, had a couple of other interviews, and then finally stumbled across the above scheme, where he's been working since January.

Don't give up!
There is a long story behind that name!!!! I am suer when our paths cross i can explain it to you (aviation is so small we are bound to cross at some point!

Re Adria - i have applied....... I am hoping and keep in contact with the school!

I will say the same to you..... Dont give up!! This is not the time for giving up. But what i am coming to realise is that it doesnt look like i am going to be one of the lucky ones so i need to figure out how i make my own luck!!

MaverickPrime Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys apply to Ryanair?
I applied to Ryanair on the 6 March...... havent heard anything since. I am hopefull to get an assessment but i feel i need to start making plans to force the issue somehow as clearly, what i have done to this point is not enough.

If anyone else has any other thoughts i am all ears!!!!!!!