PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military short of 800 pilots?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2018, 08:19
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
BV, I suspect that, in many parts of the UK, the salary:house price ratio is even worse than your figures indicate.

Quite how anyone posted to the A330 at Brize will ever be able to afford a house in this part of the world is beyond me. 2 salaries needed, which is one reason local housing estates are so jammed with 2 cars per house - they were never built with that in mind.

I bought my house in 1984 for £36K; the inflation calculator indicates that it should now be worth £116K. But the actual figure is 2 1/2 times the calculated value.... Which is NOT something to crow about - it's an utter scandal. RAF salary as a Flt Lt with 8 years seniority was adequate to have a mortgage and a reasonable car, but there wasn't much left at the end of the month - so heaven knows how people can manage these days.

2 salaries? One of the chaps on my VC10 course was a first tourist with a young wife and was posted to 10 Sqn. At some early social gathering some old dinosaur's wife said to his wife "You must come to our coffee mornings" - to which she answered "No, I'll be at work". Then followed a look of horror from the old bat..."Work?". It seems that an officer's wife who had a job was an alien concept to her....

Add the absurd house price factor to that the capped pay 'rises' of the past few years and it's hardly surprising that the RAF will have huge difficulty retaining anyone who has had the sense to work towards an ATPL and TR, so they'll be off to the airlines PDQ. Although airline salaries aren't what they once were either...

Last edited by BEagle; 20th Apr 2018 at 10:31.