PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 20th Apr 2018, 07:50
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
I have recently received a copy of a final dissertation entitled “Financial analysis of vertically guided approach solutions for Australia”. Here is a copy of it and I have a precis here.

It really does bring in some problems in relation to the cost of SBAS.
Whilst Baro VNAV has almost the same benefits as SBAS, the reality is that the vast majority of charter operators are unlikely to retrofit the hardware that will be needed to fly BARO VNAV. Most will have just upgraded avionics to equipment that already has LPV capability due to the ADSB mandate. If the 8x safety improvement for approaches with vertical guidance is correct, the value of lives needs to be considered before deciding not to implement SBAS in Australia. Sometimes the role of governments is to do things that don't stack up on traditional commercial criteria.

Does anyone know of any retrofitable BARO VNAV equipment available for GA aircraft? Given the availability of SBAS in the larger aviation markets it wouldn't surprise me if there is not, and if there is it will be at a premium price due economies of scale associated with limited markets.