PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 19th Apr 2018, 23:58
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The withdrawl of ground based aids is a separate issue...even if we only flew behind C129 gear
OZ, Surprising as it may be to some, I do know how these systems work.

For obvious reasons (they are still working for airservices, or around the Canberra) one of the clearly stated (in "private conversation) benefits at the time was the forcing of the fitment as I described.

At the time, there were no transponders on the market that had their own inbuilt GPS receiver, and the "considered opinion" was that the cost of a FreeFlight receiver was not economic, owners/operators would upgrade a whole navigation box.

The PR of ADS-B was an easy sell --- just remember the members of the aviation community who were suckered in, at the time --- remember the PP slid that showed how cheap and simple it all was, just a wire from a GPS box to a transponder box -- too easy!!

Believe me, those "responsible" saw this as a tricky way to force nav. system upgrades and reduce opposition to navaid withdrawal.

but slagging off as a result of ignorance just belittles the slagger.
Vag277,
I was there at the time, heavily involved in several technical sub-committees, and other regulatory matters,when what I have just described was common currency, where you??

I even still have some of the PP slideshows that ever so clearly state that a "benefit" of the adoption of ADS-B (viz. C-146/146 GPS) was closing down navaids.
Tootle pip!!