PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military short of 800 pilots?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2018, 14:03
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Sharpend

I have the greatest respect for you but I’m afraid your last post comes across with all the smugness of a fully paid up member of the baby boomer generation (or perhaps slightly before then?!).

You were doubtless able to buy a fine house for a relative pittance when you reached the end of your service. That is no longer the case. Young pilots nowadays will be lucky to purchase a boxy, new build 3 bed semi. That is why they are forced to look elsewhere whether they are loyal to the crown or not.

As an example. In my time alone (18.5 years in the RAF) a Flt Lt pilots salary (basing it on myself as a PAS Flt Lt compared to my contemporary) has roughly doubled. The average house price has outstripped that rise by a fair way.

Whereas in 1999 the average house price was perhaps 2-3 times the average salary it is now 7-8 times (these numbers are approximate but not far off).

So, whilst I appreciate your position and light hearted response I would suggest some empathy is required from, not just yourself, but anyone of your vintage when they attempt to make sense of the feelings of the modern generation.

I’m not trying to be a d1ck but it needed saying.

BV