PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Standard communication
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2018, 13:47
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
examples that drive me crazy are the guys who will call “ 600 to go” because they missed the “1000 to go” call out.

Lol....yes even better still calling 1000' to go even though we are well within 1000' People do not get my dry humor....I ask if Alt are off by over 250' and we have not gotten an ECAM...weird huh?

"1000 to go." has 2 functions. Alert + X-check. I've had it where PM did not set 1013 when instructed, even though we called a x-check at the change.
So IMHO the SOP call is the truth so the altimeter check is correct.

In similar fashion I hate when the 80kts call is missed on takeoff and the PM chirps up "we've passed 80." Useless. Just call what speed it is because one reason is an ASI check.

So why not the same with altimeters?

Regarding what to call; I also followed the basic philosophy to call the parameters that is in error. i.e. Hey, buddy you need to look at XX.

However, there was a story on another airbus thread about the auto-callout 'speed' when it meant low energy on approach i.e. power. I recalled a scenario on B737 where the speed was going to decay due to too low power. It hadn't yet, but in my 'hey buddy you need to check the N1%' thinking, I called "power" and PF reduced it more. Oops.