PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 19th Apr 2018, 08:33
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Le ping. How sad. When I was CAA Chairman we arranged for ATCs to go on visits to the USA and look at the airspace system. The only requirement was that they write a report covering what was done better there and what we did better.

I still have some of those reports.

Re the Class C. It is more expensive because it requires an approach radar system with primary and secondary radar to operate safely.

Otherwise the controller would quite often not know the exact location of the VFR traffic.

Let’s say a VFR aircraft flew across the approach airspace 20 miles north of Launy. How would the controller ever know?

How would a controller know the position of a VFR aircraft crossing at 6500’ from East to west 20 miles north of Albury?

“Keep left of that farm in front of you”. What a joke.

VFR aircraft can fly straight through to approach airspace of these non radar class C airports and the tower controller would most likely never know.

The airspace is upside down. It is a pathetic reflection on Australian airspace management.

The ministers directive still remains for terminal radar to be installed at all C airports so controllers can do their job

I don’t know why you support this lower standard. Would you be game to meet with me?