PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA1380 - diversion to KPHL after engine event
Old 19th Apr 2018, 00:16
Matt48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clark y
Matt48, well said.
For us, this would be similar to studying the escape routes of the hotels we stay at on overnights. One day it might save your life.

As for the mystery blade, looking at the remaining fan, my guess is it went out the front or through the inlet cowl. There seems to be very little damage to the remaining fan. One adjacent blade bent? The previous incident showed massive damage. Either the blade went forward or it slid cleanly between the remaining blades and out the back of the engine.
Something caused the cowl to self destruct. Blade, vibration, what ever, hopefully the investigators can learn what so it can be prevented in future.
As for the window, something hit it. Once again, I'll leave it to the investigators.

Finally, great job by the crew on a really bad day.
Been wondering if the damage to the forward part of the cowl could be a result of some damage to it from the departing blade, magnified by a severe shaking from the immediate imbalance at near redline N1 speed plus aerodynamic loads at 4-500kts. Any takers ?