PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2018, 19:34
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting points of view here. I wonder how many of the posters have actually stalled their aircraft in the configuration of the day, as it were? Independent of this thread, I spent an hour yesterday in a homebuilt, investigating behaviour at the stall in different configurations.
No flight manual, we are about half way through a fifteen hour program intended to give us the information we need to write one. I'm flying at a fairly light weight, between full and half tanks, solo in a two seat aircraft. Probably fairly representative of the use it will get. It's interesting to reflect on all the different possibilities there are. At this weight, Clean power off, clean at different power settings (1700 rpm, 2100 rpm, and 2450 rpm) Flaps 15 power off, 1700 rpm, and 2100 rpm. I'm not intending to try 2450 with any flap, we've set a flap limit speed based on similar types, and don't really want to bust it. Then there is Flaps 30, all the above, turns at different angles of bank with and without flap and power.
Then do it all again at different weights. I suspect all the DGAC really want is clean and
full flaps, but I'm having fun.

The hard part so far has been getting decent enough weather. The first flights were done in march, then we had three weeks waiting for the rain to stop and the runway to dry out.

I think I could easily spend all fifteen hours in upper air work and enjoy doing it. The speeds are actually predictable, once the clean stalling speed at a given weight is established. What is interesting is the way the aircraft signals that it is unhappy, and what happens at the point of stall. It's making my flying a lot crisper, for sure.

Does anyone know an easy way to measure takeoff distance to 15 metres? We are supposed to come up with that, at some point. At MAUW. Runway surface and wind not specified, which seems to make it a bit pointless, to my mind.