PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling in Landing Configuration...?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2018, 16:26
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
As long as you put the wheels on the tarmac, at the Piano Keys, at Vso, it doesn't matter two hoots what your speed was half a mile before.
Speed awareness and control is a pretty important task for a fixed wing pilot, especially in more high performance aircraft. Yes, some aircraft could be safely slowed from excess speed a half mile back, in other types this would destabilize the approach to be unsafe.

I remember once, in very early days, landing a 182 on an 11,000 foot long runway. I allowed it to contact the ground much too fast (two hoots shortage on my part). What a bucking bronco ride that was! Now, for me, all tricycle type landings will be full or near stall at the time of surface contact.

My half mile back speed will be planned and executed. The place of landing and approach path may affect my decision, as well as the possibility (or reality) of engine failure, and the affect on other traffic of what could be a non standard approach.

On this landing, I was flying the approach to the knot, 1.1Vso, as I had only 40 more feet of runway length available than that required for the aircraft under those conditions.