PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - differences between the 747 classic and 400?
Old 2nd Jul 2001, 15:16
concrete_slurry

Lightbulb

If ya do a search you find some previous topics that will cover this. But in any case just a few details:
Flight Deck - EICAS system with all the mods of TCAS, GPWS (the upgraded software for EGPWS is still being fitted to many) with associated FMC/GPS nav etc which gives a different autoflight system from earlier 747. CRT for PFD/ND. Around 600 fewer switches/lights. Instillation of CMC for quick trouble shooting.

Airframe - winglets, wings have etxra 6' extension, extra leading edge flap, recontoured wing fillet, tail fuel tank (HST), increased rudder deflection by 6 degrees (reduces Vmcg etc), carbon brakes , lower profile tyres on larger diameter rims, different alloys in wing to reduce weight by 6,000 lbs, upperdeck strengthened to give a 20' sq hole blowout survival instead of 12.5'sq.

Cabin - vacuum dunnies, redesigned overhead bins and side panels, maybe composite floorboards (but can not remember) exactly.

Power - different engines. Uprated and new APU. With more fuel and more efficent engines = greater range. Composite cowlings.

Uprated takeoff weights

All I can remeber off the top of my head. Guess you have an interview or something?????

As to your question - my understanding is that the EICAS and CRT is only on the 400 and not the earlier models (unless retrofitted). Most aircraft these days have a form of TCAS fitted, even the earlier 200s that I have seen usually have it fitted. The instruments look different - but they give you the same stuff - how to fly.

[This message has been edited by concrete_slurry (edited 02 July 2001).]