PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2018, 07:49
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I watched it on BBC iPlayer last night. Good to see another RN documentary produced by Chris Terrill - the first being HMS Brilliant, about the frigate of the same name, on operations in the Adriatic in 1994 and broadcast the following year. As I remember the Sea Harriers from HMS Invincible (I think) did put in an appearance for an air defence exercise, and one of them hovered and did a wave afterwards.

The sailors aboard Queen Elizabeth were indeed breathing life into their ship as they took over compartments, and tested and used more and more equipment, carrying out training to prepare for life at sea, and bonding as a ship's company. The Cdr (Air) made the point, so often missed by the "just a floating airfield" brigade, that a carrier takes all the thing associated with a normal air base and integrates them into a finite space, which then moves.

As for training the flight deck party, it was good seeing the mighty Sea Harrier continuing to serve Navy and nation in retirement, training chockheads at the RN School of Flight Deck Operations at RNAS Culdrose.

This was a programme about people far more technology, although of course the two are inextricably linked. I will look forward to the next two episodes.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 21st Apr 2018 at 10:25.