PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747-100 engine problems on early versions
Old 18th Apr 2018, 05:33
D-LZ 126

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B747-100 turbine reversers

Thanks much for the photo of the turbine reverser blocker doors on what I assume was a -3A. I always wondered what they looked like.

I flew -100s and -200s in the early 2000's, we had several -100s from UAL and a couple other early line numbers from AA, DAL, etc.

All our 'classics' had -7A engines or better and in 3 years I never had a mechanical issue with one. Sometimes the -'Q' engines would rumble if pulled to idle above FL 300 so you'd wait til you were below that to reduce thrust fully.

We had 3 -70A powered birds and other than reverser issues (very different from ones on -7A/Q mills) I recall they ran about like the 'Q's did, i.e. well. We also flew a few -300s that had been converted to freighter configuration by Boeing/Wichita that were real 'Cadillacs', that had GE CF6-50E2s. The CF-6s burned slightly less fuel as didn't take as big as a performance 'hit' with anti-ice on.

There was a placard on several of our -100s above the engine instruments that read 'Turbine reversers permanently de-acivated, all 4 engines'.

Additionally, one could see a painted-over label next to the landing gear lever, in between the 'OFF' and 'DOWN' ones, that originally said 'WING'. On the very earliest airplanes apparently the wing gear could be lowered for use as a speed brake- perhaps for the comfort of transitioning DC-8 pilots.

I really enjoy the memories and recollections here, thanks. D.