PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 18th Apr 2018, 05:23
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
I smell a rat somewhere, why all the sudden bureaucratic interest in SBAS/WAAS, what has changed, leading to one of the most bulldust laden Ministerial press releases I have seen in a long time.

Reducing some minima from GNSS to GNSS/WAAS “transforming “ aviation --- somebody had the “superlatives” switch turn too high, when the “bull sh*t generator” was switched on.

Years ago (early 2000’s) the various relevant organs of Can’tborough conducted a very extensive investigation of SBAS/WAAS, including a quite reasonable benefit/cost analysis, it was a non-starter.

Nobody argued that there was not some theoretical benefit to rural and regional aviation, but a benefit/cost justified by aviation use was a non-starter. As for all the other uses, more accurate GPS was well on the way.

However, “Regionals” at the time had no interest in the up-front and ongoing costs, for a small saving possibly generated by the occasional diversion avoided.

The majors had no interest, they had GBAS coming up for quite specific local purposes, the savings then came from reducing alternate minima, not reduction of normal approach minima.

All the uses of very accurate positioning for agriculture/shipping/transport are generally available now, have been for years.

Interestingly, the use of GPS in high speed train control was discounted at the time, based on the view that would be no high speed rail in the near future --- almost 20 years later that has not changed.

Where “centimetre” accuracy is required, that is mostly already available, and has been for years, for surveyors or the like. Where it might be needed at a mine site for auto-navigation of mine vehicles, that can be provided by local GBAS, bought and paid for by the mining company.

As I read it, the satellite being used for the “trial” is time expired, putting two new ones up just for SBAS is not a goer, it will be a package hoisted on another launch.

The only obvious savings I see “to Government” is possibly closing down the existing AMSA system?? We know SBAS/WAAS all works, a trial is going to prove nothing we don't already know.

So, WHAT IS THE CATCH?? What has changed since the last big study, now that SBAS/WAAS is “old hat”.

Tootle pip!!