PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 18th Apr 2018, 02:36
Kral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick, seriously?

A very quick google got me to Geoscience Australia's website on SBAS and answers several of your questions regarding spreading the cost.

ga dot gov dot au /scientific-topics/positioning-navigation/positioning-for-the-future/satellite-based-augmentation-system/profiles

crcsi dot com dot au

Geoscience Australia are a very approachable department, it would be very easy to get in touch with them and the CRC to find out estimated project costs for the options considered. GA on their website state that they are investigating a number of technology options, and they would have that costed. They've engaged EY to do an economic analysis of the options, so maybe give GA a call? Or an email? Or walk in the front door next time you're in CBR?

GA's website list the industries as:
- Agriculture
- Construction
- Consumers and Utilities
- Resources
- Spatial
- Transport

So I'd guess that maybe, if that $150million is accurate (which one of the three technologies they are testing does that number come from?) it could be spread across those industries?

Also I'm not a remote positioning expert, but unlike ADS-B, for SBAS to work you wouldn't have to mandate it. Not like every lil C152 tacking along needs it. but I'm sure that REX, RFDS et al would love it. To me this feels like an opt-in system, where people that would get the benefit out of improved positioning can buy the equipment.

Either way, go chat to Geoscience.

Last edited by Kral; 18th Apr 2018 at 04:03.