PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA1380 - diversion to KPHL after engine event
Old 17th Apr 2018, 22:49
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stumpy Grinder
Want to correct what I said above, I was comparing the wrong pictures, the failure effect does indeed look similar.

Any idea what was concluded on the previous incident? How did CFM address the uncountained failure? FBO should always be contained, turbine blade is considered infinite energy and uncontainable, another matter all together.
Assuming we're all talking about the same previous incident (SWA 3472 / N766SW) the NTSB investigation page is here: https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...agoula-fl.aspx

- no final report yet (that I can see), only an interim update
- appears they may have stopped after deciding cause of fan blade failure (and remedy?)
- sounds like they believe blade exited backwards not tangential, and wasn't responsible for the fuselage damage (therefore arguably making it a contained failure)
- there is no mention in the interim update of any further work on investigating the cowling failure or what hit the fuselage, it doesn't sound like they were interested...