PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA Wizz Air Cadet Scheme 2016
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2018, 12:58
RawData17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being in BAA for almost 11 months I've had a chance to get familiar with the way the flight school actually operates. I'll use this post to try and point out the things you should pay double attention to....

Yes, I still think that this school is a good opportunity for all of candidates who manage to get into a cadet pilot program. Otherwise it really makes no sense to pay 72K EUR (new price) for a regular EASA Frozen ATPL which you can actually obtain for much less money in another EU countries. The only thing that makes up for this ridiculous amount of money which BAA is asking for is the employment guaranteed in the cadet program.

The employees of the school (sales managers and training managers) aren't really the best. I am really sorry to say it but there is space for much improvement. As for the sales managers it's maybe not event that much of a deal but the training managers.....

You will commonly hear this phrase "We don't know yet".... Your ground school schedule will not have a logical order so it may happen that you are first taking a subject which is comprised of the two subjects you are scheduled to listen afterwards. In my opinion this is mainly because the personnel responsible fur such tasks haven't received the proper training.

I've noticed the favoritism of domestic students over foreign. Now this is not some silly idea I have in my head but a statement backed up by facts and evidence.

According to the school rules you are allowed to miss 20% of each ground school subject, however these rules don't apply to each student for some reason. If you are a good student and you ask nicely you can pretty much get a lot of things. On the other side, if you aren't doing so great you might expect not to receive same support.

The training schedule changes often, that is when you get it in the first place.
The rules change as well. Initially when we started training we were told that in order to start the VFR flight training we have to listen to all ground school subjects and pass all school exams and before starting the IFR training we had to pass all CAA exams. Then during the training this rule all of a sudden changed to 10 out of 14 CAA exams needed to be passed before starting VFR training (plus all school exam of course, which is ok).

For your flight training training you can expect to do some of it or all of it in Spain, depending on when you start your training. Expect very poor support when it comes to finding a place to live in Kaunas or Panevezys where the flight training is actually done. As to how it is decided if you are going to Kaunas or Panevezys, well that is pure luck... Or if you are domestic student you can pick a base actually. Equality I know, but this has been the case in the two groups so far.... I was lucky enough to end up in Kaunas where I managed to find an apartment after 2 months of searching.

The BAA made some big changes by employing some very experienced people in the last one or two months in order to step up their game. I really hope this turns out good. At the moment it looks like BAA is going for quantity over quality...