PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 17th Apr 2018, 04:31
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Ozbusdriver you state:

“Baro-VNAV is only available to FMS equipped aircraft.”
I find this quite mysterious. Would you consider the Cirrus SR22 to be “FMS equipped”? I thought it had simple Garmin equipment and without doubt it provides Baro-VNAV.

Virtually all Garmin equipped aircraft from now on I understand will have Baro-VNAV – that is, including C172s, C182s and so forth.

So what are the facts here?

Ozbusdriver, if $150 million is not right, what is the correct figure? Surely someone must have done a figure. Has anyone put on the back of an envelope the actual cost to our country and the benefit?

It is a pretty simple request.

I think everyone will agree we have to make sure this is not another ADS-B fiasco. At that time, lots of boffins raved on about how fantastic ADS-B would be for general aviation in Australia. They tended to forget about the colossal cost of the installation.

Now that it is all installed, I have never been able to find anyone who has come up with one measurable cent of a cost saving. Also, people I have spoken to say there has been no measurable improvement in safety.

Of course, the $30 million that was claimed to have been spent on the early ADS-B mandate has nearly destroyed general aviation in this country – or it is the prime reason for the destruction. We don’t want more of that happening.

That is why I believe someone by now should have a very simple and accurate cost benefit study done in relation to SBAS. How many ground stations are planned for the system and where are the costings?