PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 17th Apr 2018, 01:06
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS

The Australian newspaper on Friday April 13, 2018 in a major article headed “Satellite system heralded for its safety benefits” stated the following:

“A spokesman for the Infrastructure and Transport Minister Michael McCormack said an SBAS had “the potential to transform air transport in remote and regional Australia.””
Surely that is a load of codswallop as it would be possible to put Baro-VNAV approaches in remote and regional Australia. The only advantage SBAS would have would be a lower minima – I think it works out to be about 100 feet.

Does anyone have any idea of how this lower minima is going to “transform air transport in remote and regional Australia”?

The last figures I saw is that SBAS is going to cost about $150 million. The only way you could go ahead is if there are many other industries in Australia, other than aviation, who are going to receive a financial benefit from it. I would love to know what they are and I would also love to see the proper figures.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m a really strong supporter of SBAS as long as it reflects a positive cost benefit study. Otherwise, I would like the Government to consider putting $150 million into the flight and LAME training industry. Now that could have a real benefit for aviation – both in participation and safety.