PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Offer better Value than Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2003, 18:31
Pax Vobiscum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This won't surprise those who buy their tickets intelligently, although I suspect such folks are not in the majority! I use "full-fare" and "no-frills" as and when appropriate and I've got few complaints about the service I've received from either type of company.

For the business traveller, a couple of other things affect my decision:

(a) It's not just the convenience of the destination airport, it's also the departure location. For me (and I'm not alone) in leafy S Bucks, getting to Stansted for 05:00 is a pain and a taxi costs £100 each way (cf £35 for LHR).

(b) I'm frequently prepared to pay extra ('cos I pass the cost on to my clients ) for flexibility. I can't always forecast the end of my working day, so on non-flexible tickets I've either got to book a late flight or risk having to rebook at the last minute - which not only loses the ticket already purchased, but (as the article points out) is likely to be much more expensive.

Final thought - does buying last minute inevitably increase the cost. If you're lucky (or the airline is unlucky) enough to get a lightly loaded flight, I would have thought last-minute tickets would be quite cheap?

PS I can't find the AUC info online, but The Times has an article based on it.

Last edited by Pax Vobiscum; 1st Oct 2003 at 00:18.