PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ RNAV procedure turns
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2018, 21:20
Corkey McFuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, even if it's there you don't have to do it. Don't confuse USA rules and procedures to NZ, they are not the same country.

The T layout / multiple IAFs are there so you can come from any direction and fly straight in. That's the beauty of RNAV in that it's point to point. Not referenced to only one point.

The only time I can think of having to do a procedure turn on an RNAV is if there is only one central IAF and you are not coming straight in. I know there used to be a few RNAV approaches in NZ like this as I had to do them, but this was a long time ago in the more infant stages of RNAV approaches in nz. I doubt there are any (or many) around like that still.

Originally Posted by hellcheez
The fact that a procedure turn is still applicable if your IAF is the middle waypoint (but you aren't under radar control, say) gives an indication there is an additional purpose.
The purpose of the published holding pattern is that it is there to be used if NEEDED. This may be for various reasons such as waiting for another aircraft to do the approach, waiting for a dirty great thunderstorm to bugger off, getting your sh*t sorted before conducting the approach (perhaps you are in an abnormal situation) or even loosing height if needed. Another significant reason is that many missed approach procedures (including the NZWU above) direct you to track to this waypoint (or another with a holding pattern). In this case, DUDED, you will have to carry out a reversal on entry because of the direction you are coming from. Likely once you have done the reversal procedure you will remain in said holding pattern so you can sort out your stuff, divert, wait for weather to clear etc. But under normal operations, its not used unless needed.

Last edited by Corkey McFuz; 16th Apr 2018 at 21:37.