PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter airline visits to Leeds Bradford, 1960s and 1970s
Old 16th Apr 2018, 18:58
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
Glad to see Leeds Bradford got to see at least some Mediterranean action, albeit with my beloved Viscounts. If the Tridents couldn't handle the old runway I don't suppose the Bristol Britannia could manage it either ! Did this BKS work carry on after the name change to Northeast ?
no BKS Brits afaik were used on charters from LBA - nor was the ambassador or 748
under Northeast a Britannia was retained to act as a trident back up
and cannot confirm about Northeast Viscounts continuing Med charters from LBA upon name change as the BKS archive finishes the year of name change
I cannot recall ever seeing a yellow viscount down in Palma for instance but Cambrian did carry on with them along with the new 1-11's

airways holidays tended to be the bigger operator of all the IT's and the Tridents went only from NCL and LHR and a PMI series from MME i think

from the provinces MAN HUY NWI STN IOM and GLA EDI ABZ in Scotland BA (CF) now has a large weekend Med and Italy charter programme using the EMB RJ's but sadly LBA and NCL are not on the list

Swan Tours in London had the LHR BKS/NO Trident charter contract for 2 a/c from 1970/71 for the Med summer and a winter ski series for some years until Swans was bought by Inghams and that contract was lost by 1976

charter flights from LHR never really took off again for many years until BMA had a few to Italy and sardinia with Citalia (CIT)
now BA has a very large charter flight program from LHR to the Med + corsica sardinia and Greek Islands for many specialized upmarket tour operators and Cunard cruises plus ski charters in the winter - same as the old trident days