PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC/IR(R).. going on to CBIR.
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2018, 17:12
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
There are a thousand different routes to a modular frozen ATPL:
The most expensive is to do a CPL in a Multi then a full MEIR course.
The cheaper is IR(R) - MEP (course only) - CBIR (multi) - CPL.

There’s no getting away from the fact that you have to pay to fly a plane and build hours. So it’s always cheaper to get the IR first, and take the CPL at 200 hours. Combined with hour building, an IR(R) costs about £1000 for FI and Examiner etc. Building Instrument PIC time is then free and the CBIR requires 10 hours of multi engine time.
You can get an IR for £6,000. I’m surprised anyone still does the full course.

Been offine for a bit, bumping this up.. I did a calculaton of P1 hours and I mostly did hours buildng by renting aircraft (as and when affordable at weekends) and going for the usual bimble to Belgium, Le Touqet,CAEN Sherburn in Elmet - (Alone and in VMC but not quite a sunny day.. learned a hell of a lot on that single fight)..

I also did a VP and a CSU differences traning on a complex aircraft. With all that I am about 63 hrs P1. Not a lot but there you are. My dual time is a lot more.

The plan before I thought about IR(R)..was do to MEP at 70 hours P1 which I am just shy of..

However I am now thinking of doing IR(R) which will take me to say 80 hours P1 followed by MEP rating.

I think the IR(R) will probably give me more value than the MEP at this stage and I can get it done over the summer ready for when the weather craps out around November and put it to use afterwards..

Would this seem sensible/cost effective compared to the CPL ME/IR route..?

I know Stapleford are in the consultation phase for a RNAV approach implementaton but this is a while away yet..

Scoobster